Hey my loves!
Recently I wrote a post about the importance of Ask Angela when It comes to going on dates and staying safe. (Read Here)
Over the years there has been media coverage of the ‘Me Too Movement’ In case you haven’t heard of that before it is basically a Hashtag that went viral in October 2017 to help spread the word of harassment and assault. It was formerly used by Tarana Burke and was popularised by Alyssa Milano to give others a real sense of the severity of the problem.
That’s why today I’m writing a post about fighting the potential dangers that arise when using online dating services and meeting people you don’t know. Let’s be honest the world isn’t a safe place and there are some horrible people out there. This post isn’t to scare you in any way shape or form but to give you an insight into how you can stay safe and out of harms way when online dating.
Let’s be perfectly honest, we’ve all tried apps like Tinder, Pof or even cheekier apps like Sex Dating Sites or Adult Dating But do we really know the potential risks that we are letting ourselves in for? I’ve been there, I’ve been on dates where the other person isn’t quite what they seemed. They may even look like the picture but that doesn’t mean you’re out the woods. Their personality can be completely different. You may simply actually have nothing in common with them or it could even be more sinister. This is why I’ve devised a list of tips for you to use when online dating and meeting people you don’t know to stay safe and prevent sexual harassment and even abuse. I know it isn’t exactly what you want to hear but it is really important you know the risks and how to stay safe.
- Go at your own pace – going slow is so important. I know it can be hard when you’re in the moment. But refrain from sending those more personal pictures of yourself. You don’t know who or what your sending your personal information to.
- Do they have more than one picture? A way to be more sure someone is real is whether they have more than one picture of themselves, also do the photos look real? Do they even have a picture? That one is vital. Never talk to someone who’s profile picture is a cat etc. You literally don’t know who you’re talking to.
- Talk on video chat before meeting – This just gives you a sense of who it is you’re going to be meeting. You can see they are who they say they are and whether you have anything in common.
- When meeting, meet in a public place – Meeting in a public place is vital. Make sure it is somewhere where there is a lot of people around and is very busy. That way you know that they won’t try anything. Don’t agree to go back to theirs on the first date. Who can help you there?
- If your looking for the no strings attached kind of dating please don’t go to theirs on the first meeting or visa versa. If you really want to then give a friend the address of where you are going and for them to call after a certain amount of time if you haven’t messaged them.
Do you have any tips for staying safe online?